segunda-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2010

Rick Riordan is my favorite author...

Okay. I know. I'm not a kid anymore... I'm 19. I'm supposed to be a young adult, but I do not feel like one. I dream a lot. I appreciate magical worlds, fantasy... I have a sister who is 11, and she says she doesn't like Harry Potter because his story is not real, possible, etc. She is a kid, and I still don't understand why she thinks this way. That's sad. (BUT!) I am like one of these incredible children that are able to dream and find in fantasy their perfect world. After the end of Harry Potter, I thought that I would never love another story, but then comes to my hands Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and I just fell in love for it. I get sad again with the end of the series, but when I was walking around Livraria Cultura a name called my attention in the cover of a book - a new book: Rick Riordan. He is just a great author. I don't know how to describe how good his stories are. If you have time to read a good story, read one of Riordan's book. He is my favorite author.

* Read an interesting answer that I read today below:


Any advice for young people who want to be writers?

I started writing seriously when I was in eighth grade. I had an English teacher who encouraged me to submit my work for publication.
I became a middle school English teacher largely because of the impact Mrs. Pabst had on me twenty-three years ago, and I love having the chance to encourage kids to write the way I was encouraged. That’s one of the reasons I was not anxious to leave the classroom to pursue full-time writing.
The first thing a young writer needs is a mentor who believes in his or her talent. So don’t be afraid to ask for help! Find a teacher you respect. Correspond with authors. You will find that a polite email will almost always get a response.
Secondly, read a lot! Read everything you can get your hands on. You will learn the craft of writing by immersing yourself in the voices, styles, and structures of writers who have gone before you.
Thirdly, write every day! Keep a journal. Jot down interesting stories you heard. Write descriptions of people you see. It doesn’t really matter what you write, but you must keep up practice. Writing is like a sport — you only get better if you practice. If you don’t keep at it, the writing muscles atrophy.
Finally, don’t get discouraged! Rejection is a part of writing, and it hurts. The trick is to keep at it. Wallpaper your room with rejection notes, if you want, but don’t give up.